November 2011, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Forest and Rangeland Ecosystem Science Center(FRESC) , Wind Energy and Wildlife Research at the Forest and
Rangeland Ecosystem Science Center, Fact Sheet 2011–3134
Impacts of Wind Farms on Upland Habitats
The Environmental Cost of Scotland’s Renewable Energy (pdf), The John Muir Trust
April 1, 2014 Impacts of Industrial Wind Development On Wildlife and Ridgeline Habitat, Vermont and New Hampshire Mountains, PeakKeepers
September 2007, Impacts of Wind Energy Facilities on Wildlife and Wildlife Habitat Technical Review . Technical Review Committee on Wind Energy Facilities and Wildlife, The Wildlife Society,
4 October 2018, Observation-based solar and wind power capacity factors and power densities. Lee M Miller, David W Keith. Environmental Research Letters. http://iopscience.iop.org (PDF ARTICLE)
Wind plants with the largest areas have the lowest power densities. Wind power capacity factors are increasing, but that increase is associated with a decrease in capacity densities, so power densities are stable or declining. If wind power expands away from the best locations and the areas of wind power plants keep increasing, it seems likely that wind’s power density will decrease as total wind generation increases.
October 04, 2018, Climatic Impacts of Wind Power. Lee M Miller, David W Keith. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joule.2018.09.009
An Ecological Risk Assessment of Wind Energy Development in Montana.
Brian Martin, Amy Pearson, Brad Bauer. The Nature Conservancy
Helena, Montana January 2009
Lake Superior Action Research Conservation, larc.ca Defining Green
This is a wonderful article on what green means, and on the specific threats to the Lake Superior watershed and boreal forests. This is specific to the Bow Lake Wind Project which is located directly across the big lake from the Huron Mountains, making the observations and issues identical to those that would be seen in here.
STRAIGHT TALK Industrial Wind is Not as Green as We Were Told WeCAREsd.org
MARCH 2016, GULLEN RANGE WIND FARM, Annual Environmental Management Report
Letter of Concern Regarding Industrial Wind Development in the Algoma District
July 19, 2018, Letter On behalf of Trout Unlimited, on the New England Clean Energy Connect (NECEC) transmission line.
” Consistent with our mission, TU’s primary concern will be the impacts of the project on habitat for cold water fish … A large amount of currently forested habitat will be cleared for construction, and much of this will be permanently converted to cleared corridors. Clearing and construction of access roads and tower foundations may cause sedimentation and other impacts on water quality. Maintained corridors in riparian areas will remove trees that provide shade and will likely raise stream temperatures. ”
Wind power and ecology, October-November 2011 Nature and Society
Ridgeline Wind in Vermont: What you need to know. Impacts of Building Utility Scale Wind” in Vermont. Energize Vermont (Brochure)
Upper Great Plains Wind Energy Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS)
Documents related to the Upper Great Plains Wind Energy Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS). U.S. Department of Energy, Western Area Power Administration, U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
2010, Potential climatic impacts and reliability of very large-scale wind farms, Wang, C. and Prinn, R. G., Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 2053-2061, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-10-2053-2010,.
Peter R. Law, Mark Fuller. Evaluating anthropogenic landscape alterations as wildlife hazards, with wind farms as an example, Ecological Indicators, Volume 94, Part 1,
2018, Pages 380-385, ISSN 1470-160X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.06.061.
Peter R. Law, A Cost-Benefit Analysis Of Wind Farms And Wildlife Hazards. sciencetrends.com DECEMBER 13, 2018
21 October 2011, The effect of a giant wind farm on precipitation in a regional climate model. B H Fiedler, M S Bukovsky. IOP Publishing Ltd. (PDF Article)
The Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model is employed as a nested regional climate model to study the effect of a giant wind farm on warm-season precipitation in the eastern two-thirds of the USA. The boundary conditions for WRF are supplied by 62 years of NCEP/NCAR (National Center for Environmental Prediction/National Center for Atmospheric Research) global reanalysis. In the model, the presence of a mid-west wind farm, either giant or small, can have an enormous impact on the weather and the amount of precipitation for one season, which is consistent with the known sensitivity of long-term weather forecasts to initial conditions. The effect on climate is less strong. In the average precipitation of 62 warm seasons, there is a statistically significant 1.0% enhancement of precipitation in a multi-state area surrounding and to the south-east of the wind farm. (B H Fiedler and M S Bukovsky 2011 Environ. Res. Lett. 6 045101)
- 40 to 50 or 132? Industrial Turbines 500 Feet Tall are Proposed for The Huron Mountains
- 5 million Scottish trees felled for wind farms – The Scotsman
- 80% decline in golden plover numbers within the first two years of the wind farm’s operation.
- Addressing Climate Change: Why Forests Matter
- Adverse environmental effects from industrial wind turbines.
- Best asset in the fight against climate change: wetlands.
- Biomass plant new fuel pellets could bring new toxicity to the air in L’Anse.
- Birds at Risk: The Importance of Canada’s Boreal Wetlands and Waterways
- Blasting report for an Industrial Wind Farm in Maine
- Blight for Naught: Wind Turbines and the Rationalized Desecration of Nature
- Circle tour of Lake Superior, marred by wind turbines.
- Clearing of habitats for wind turbines is causing a 10 per cent decline in birds populations in the surrounding area.
- COMMENTARY: PROPOSED ICEBREAKER WIND PROJECT NOT WHAT IT SEEMS
- David vs. Goliath or Don Quixote? A GRASS-ROOTS CAMPAIGN TO PROTECT THE U.P. WILDERNESS FROM INDUSTRIAL WIND DEVELOPMENT
- DESTRUCTION OF HIGH ELEVATION HYDROLOGY
- Developer revealed for proposed Upper Peninsula wind project
- Don’t blow it: Unregulated wind farms encroach on pristine Texas wilderness
- Forests as a means for storing and reducing carbon.
- Friends of the Huron Mountains volunteers sought training on good and bad stream crossings
- Germany’s Wind Farms Are Ticking Time Bombs, A ‘Significant Danger’ To Environment!
- Habitat Changes, In Turn,Influence The Health Of Wildlife Populations
- How Green is this? – Renewable Energy drives demand for base metals.
- If Renewables Are So Great for the Environment, Why Do They Keep Destroying It?
- Impacts of Industrial Wind Development on Wildlife and Ridgeline Habitat
- Industrial Wind Energy: Incompatible With Hunting
- Interior Secretary Zinke moves to cut sage grouse protections, opening lands for industrialization.
- L’Anse environmental issues dominated the Mining Gazette front page.
- Lake Erie Proposed turbines threat to birds and public boating and fishing territory.
- Lake Superior Action Research Conservation: roads and blasting issues when putting turbines in the Lake Superior watershed.
- Lake Superior Wind Farm
- Large-scale wind power has its down side – Harvard Gazette
- Let’s Keep the U.P. Naturally Green
- Loons Are Getting Squeezed By Wind Farms
- Lowell Mountains Vermont, Turbine construction, Video
- Maine’s Mountains and Ridgeline’s targeted by Industrial Wind Turbine Plants.
- Michigan officials back federal wildlife conservation plan
- Monumental, Unsustainable Environmental Impacts
- Mountain tops blasted to make room for Turbines.
- Natural Climate Solutions: Nature’s sleeping giant
- Norway rejects wind farm in favor of wild reindeer
- Ontario Government Cancels Wind Project, to protect natural resources.
- Photos show wind farm devastation of Algoma, Canada
- Planet of the Humans, Film Takes a Critical Look at Alternative Energy
- PLIGHT OF MOUNTAINTOP HABITAT
- Presentation: Why Utility Scale Wind Power is Wrong for Vermont.
- Proposed Project will cut right through Core Moose habitat
- Recent studies show wind power isn’t as environmentally beneficial as claimed.
- RES releases map of Wind Industrial Park.
- Residents divided over wind energy plan for ‘pristine Upper Peninsula wilderness’
- Road construction for Kibby Mountain, Maine Turbines.
- Seismic vibrations cause Diplocardia earthworms to emerge from the soil
- Seven important things to know about wetlands
- Six New Papers Reveal A Hushed-Up ‘Green’ Reality: Wind Turbines Destroy Habitats
- Study: Wind Power Increases Dependence on Fossil Fuels in EU
- Swedish blogger,beautifully explains how and why wind turbines are a threat to the forests and life in northern Sweden.
- The Best Technology for Fighting Climate Change Isn’t a Technology – Scientific American
- The Double Standards Industry
- The Environmental Reality When It Comes To Building and Using Massive Turbine Structures
- The False Promise of Mountaintop Industrial Wind
- The Importance of Keeping Forests Intact
- The Rapid Decline Of The Natural World Is A Crisis Even Bigger Than Climate Change | HuffPost
- The Sales Pitch: Wind projects use existing logging roads. – FALSE
- There is no free environmental lunch when it comes to building and using massive turbine structures.
- To Get Wind Power You Need Oil
- Turbines Require Roads — Big Roads
- Turbines, Pesticides, Threaten Useful, Cute, Hoary Bat.
- U.S. Geological Survey, Forest and Rangeland Ecosystem Science Center
- Upper Peninsula Environmental Coalition – Position Paper
- Video – Terracon Survey work near Mount Arvon
- Video: from German public service broadcaster ZDF (audio in English) on wind turbines and infrasound.
- Video: Peak Keepers Discuss Industrial Wind Power
- Video: RES Project Protests – Arkwright, New York.
- Video: Wind turbine leaking oil Fond Du Lac County, Wisconsin
- Video: Wind turbines and the myth of green energy
- Videos: Arkwright NY Summit Wind
- Weyerhaeuser v. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Supreme Court Case.
- Why would we destroy one of the better Climate strongholds?
- WILD HIGHLANDS Wind Action Coalition
- WILDLIFE POPULATION DECLINES -Due to Industrialization of ridgelines.
- Wind Energy consultant WEST, Inc, caught in deception, on Eagles in project area.
- Wind Energy Documents: New Hampshire
- Wind Energy, Great Lakes Regional Guidelines
- Wind Facility Will Hurt Forests, Salmon River, Hunting, Fishing, Fort Drum, Economy
- Wind farm ‘predator’ effect hits ecosystems: study
- Wind farms accelerate Dupont’s Lark declines
- Wind farms affect the occurrence, abundance and population trends of small passerine birds
- Wind turbine vibration effect on animals.
- Wind turbines are making songbirds change their tune
- Wind turbines are neither clean nor green and they provide zero global energy
- Wind turbines create dead zones.
- Wind Turbines, negative downstream effects by removing predator raptors.