This Document by lsarc.ca, is very relevant and highlights the same issues and environmental damages the Huron Mountain project will cause.
This project was proposed just like the The Huron Mountains are a part of the Canadian Shield. So the geology and location are very similar.
It also points out how it is against the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement.
Lake Superior Action Research Conservation, lsarc.ca, submission to the Environmental Bill of Rights on the roads issues and blasting when putting turbines in the Lake Superior watershed.
1. Wandering logging roads have natural “speed-bumps” they provide cautious access to the area. Wide level roads will increase the speed and traffic through the area, leading to more accidents and peril for wildlife, and removing the wonder and enjoyment.
2. Wider open areas will cause dryer hotter conditions,
changing the ecology and flora of the ridge lines, opening it for invasive species.
3. Extensive raised roads cause additional silting in run off and sediment into waterways.
4. Change of topography causes changes in spring melt water flows, diverting water to some areas and cutting it off from others.
5. The area is exposed rock with a thin layer of glacial till by removing large areas of forest and plants erosion can cause wash outs and further destruction.
6. It is pointed out that logging while removing trees does not blast rock or destroy soil or roots- which protects cut areas from mass erosion.
Lake Superior Action Research Conservation, lsarc.ca, made a submission to the Environmental Bill of Rights on the roads issues and blasting when putting turbines in the Lake Superior watershed.
Lake Superior Action Research Conservation, lsarc.ca