High Costs, and Energy Poverty
April 22, 2019. Renewable Portfolio Standards Reduce Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Emissions, But at a High Cost, Study Finds. Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago. via EPIC News
State-level renewable electricity mandates increase electricity prices by as much as 17 percent over twelve years, making the cost of reducing carbon emissions with these policies more expensive than current estimates of the benefits. https://epic.uchicago.edu/news-events/news/renewable-portfolio-standards-reduce-carbon-dioxide-co2-emissions-high-cost-study
PTC – Production Tax Credits
The PTC is a federal subsidy for the commercial production of wind energy that provides a $24 tax credit for each megawatt- hour of energy sold. It is scheduled to phase out and expire at the end of 2019.
October 2018, THE PRODUCTION TAX CREDIT: CORPORATE SUBSIDIES & RENEWABLE ENERGY, , Angela C. Erickson, Texas Public Policy Foundation: https://files.texaspolicy.com/uploads/2018/11/13144842/Production-Tax-Credit.pdf
The Renewable Electricity Production Tax Credit: In Brief
Updated November 27, 2018 Congressional Research Service
https://crsreports.congress.gov R43453 https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43453.pdf
Renewable Electricity Production Tax Credit (PTC) energy.gov
Texas Public Policy Foundation. Lisa Linowes May 2018.
Part 1: How Subsidies Drive Texas Wind Power Development The Texas Wind Power Story.
Part 2: The Impacts of Texas Wind Power Siting
the Texas wind power story wasn’t one of markets and innovations, but of government favoritism, special deals benefiting big corporations, and hidden costs.
- Another One Bites the Dust: Wisconsin Wind Farm Decommissioned After Just 20 Years
- ‘No’ vote will put horse before cart.
- Cheap price for the sale of our wilderness heritage.
- Congress Should Keep Its Promise to End Energy Subsidies
- Frank Keating Wind Turbines “Big Mistake” 60 Sec Ad Video
- Hidden costs of wind power a burden to the local economy
- L’Anse Township Board Meeting 8-8-2018: Pro-wind, Proponents, Proposals
- Looming Supply Chain Crunch Threatens US Wind Energy Boom
- Tax Appeals by Wind Farms
- The 176 billion dollars in free government money for wind turbines.
- The Mining Gazette: RES drafts tax promise in L’Anse
- The Production Tax Credit: Corporate Subsidies & Renewable Energy
- There is no free environmental lunch when it comes to building and using massive turbine structures.
- Tuscola County, Financial Planning – Wind Turbines
- US Wind Installations To Surge Before PTC Phase-Out In 2021
- US Wind Player “RES Americas” Warns of Impending Supply Bottlenecks as PTC Disappears
- What’s the True Cost of Wind Power?
- Will L’Anse township risk losing tourism opportunities for the sake of unreliable short term tax benefits?
- Wind industry admits massive project will fail without subsidies
- Wind power is hampered by many limitations
- Wind Rush – All about the Tax Credits!
- Windfarms have no monetary effect on the local school district general fund.