Celebrate the UP! March 29/30 in Marquette
Upper Peninsula Environmental Coalition presents:
- The 2019 UPEC Celebrate the UP! in Marquette, will again be at the Three Corners on Ridge and Front streets; Peter White Public Library (PWPL), Landmark Inn (LI), Federated Women’s Clubhouse (FWC), the Ore Dock Brewery (ODB) .
Friday, March 29
- Quarterly meeting of the UPEC Board, 1:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M., FWC
- UPEC Annual Meeting, with review of the year and the Board election, 4:30 P.M., FWC
- Short Video Contest Award Winners, 6:30-7:30 P.M., ODB
- Yooper Music Kickoff event. Conga Se Menne. 8:00 P.M., ODB
Saturday, March 30
- Keynote Address, “The Sixth Great Lake”. David Dempsey, author and environmental policy specialist. 9:00 A.M., FWC
- Individual sessions, 10:15 A.M. – 3:30 P.M., PWPL, LI, FWC
Rolf and Candy Peterson, canoeing around Isle Royale
Mark Doremus, filmmaker, the Back Forty Project (mine on Menominee River)
Joe Kaplan, ornithologist
Phil Watts, rock climber
Michael Loukinen, filmmaker, Burbot fishing in the Copper Country
Karena Schmidt, lichens
Michelle Tuccini, En plein air painters
Tara Gluski and Dave Kalishek, becoming an outdoors woman
- Two “Activate the U.P.” Panels, FWC
Industrial wind power plant in L’Anse Township
UPX mineral lease proposal
- Plenary Panel. “Capturing a Moment in Time”. 3:30 P.M., PWPL.
A dozen people, one iconic U.P. image each, three minutes per person to elucidate choice and meaning.
- Reception. “Winding down with three wilderness poets”. 5:00 P.M., FWC
All events free and open to the public!