Industrial Wind Impacts Tourism
Critique of the Heritage and Tourism (pdf) Impact Assessment for Bow Lake Wind Farm
* This project is located in a very similar environment with the same Canadian Shield geology.
Gorm Kipperberg, Yuko Onozaka, Linh Thi Bui, Marthe Lohaugen, Greta Refsdal, Sandra Sæland, The impact of wind turbines on local recreation: Evidence from two travel cost method – contingent behavior studies, Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, Volume 25, 2019, Pages 66-75, ISSN 2213-0780, (PDF) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jort.2018.11.004. “The analysis generates baseline consumer surplus estimates in the range of NOK 70–155 per trip and indicates that the wind turbines would have negative impacts that are both statistically and economically significant”
More studies from Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism
Some Sample Reports on Turbines and Tourism.
Almost all studies done by independent experts conclude that there will be
Tourism business lost when industrial wind energy is introduced into a tourist
Poll finds 80 per cent want to keep Wild Land Areas free of major development, John Muir Trust.
In June 2017 this poll found that an absolute majority – 52 per cent – ‘strongly agree’ that “Wild Land Areas should continue to be protected from large-scale infrastructure such as industrial-scale wind farms, major electricity transmission and super-quarries”, while a further 28 per cent ‘tend to agree’.
Broekel, Tom, and Christoph Alfken. 2015. “Gone with the Wind? The Impact of Wind Turbines on Tourism Demand.” Energy Policy 86: 506–519.
Brown, Jason P., John Pender, Ryan Wiser, Eric Lantz, and Ben Hoen. 2012. “Ex Post Analysis of Economic Impacts from Wind Power Development in U.S. Counties.”
Energy Economics 34 (6): 1743–54. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2012.07.010.
Frantál, Bohumil, and Josef Kunc. 2011. “Wind Turbines in Tourism Landscapes: Czech Experience.” Annals of Tourism Research 38 (2): 499–519. doi:10.1016/j.annals.2010.10.007.
Fooks, J. F., Messer, K. D., Duke, J. M., Johnson, J. B., Li, T., & Parsons, G. R. (2016).
Tourist Preferences and Externalities of Views of Wind Turbines. Applied Economics
& Statistics Research Report, University of Delaware, RR16-11.
- 2018 Michigan Treadhead western U.P. ride thorough the Huron Mountains
- Alpena Letter to Editor: Wind turbines in beautiful Michigan
- Before this view is destroyed by Industrial Turbines – Take A Drive To The Top Of Mount Arvon.
- Circle tour of Lake Superior, marred by wind turbines.
- Does Wind Energy fit with area’s long-term plan?
- Highpointers Club headed back to Mt. Arvon July 2019, after 32 years.
- Highpointers Club…members voted to gather near Mount Arvon in 2019
- Hikers have a new Michigan favorite: Mount Arvon
- Hunting in wind farm a horrible experience.
- Huron Mountains – Backcountry Skiing
- Impacts of Industrial Wind Development on Wildlife and Ridgeline Habitat
- Industrial Wind Energy: Incompatible With Hunting
- Lake Superior Wind Farm
- Let’s Keep the U.P. Naturally Green
- Main impact wind farm development has on local a economy relates to tourism.
- Master Plan re-do underway for L’Anse Township. Jan. 2 2019. L’Anse Sentinel
- NO USE of the Hurons for a year or more?
- Ontario Government Cancels Wind Project, to protect natural resources.
- Photos show wind farm devastation of Algoma, Canada
- Preliminary topographical turbine viewshed.
- The Impacts to Ecotourism
- The Journey Matters.
- Tourists shun areas hit by wind turbine ‘blight’ in Scotland.
- Turbines Do Not Align with local Tourism
- Video: Huron Mountain ORV Ride Michigan Treadhead’s
- Video: Wind turbines and the myth of green energy
- Videos – Experience the Hurons
- Will L’Anse township risk losing tourism opportunities for the sake of unreliable short term tax benefits?
- Wind farm opponents: Not against wind energy
- Wind Farm wants to restrict hunters