March 2018, Wind turbines impact bat activity, leading to high losses of habitat use in a biodiversity hotspot Millon et al., 2018 (full paper) Ecological Engineering Volume 112, March 2018, Pages 51-54
“Wind turbines impact bat activity, leading to high losses of habitat use… (Fleming and Racey, 2009).
Frick et al., 2017 “Large numbers of migratory bats are killed every year at wind energy facilities. We show that mortality from wind turbines may drastically reduce population size and increase the risk of extinction. For example, the hoary bat population could decline by as much as 90% in the next 50 years. Our results suggest that wind energy development may pose a substantial threat to migratory bats in North America.
Hammerson et al, 2017 “Conservationists are increasingly concerned about North American bats due to the arrival and spread of the White-nose Syndrome (WNS) disease and mortality associated with wind turbine strikes. As of 2015, 18–31% of the species were at risk (categorized as having vulnerable, imperiled, or critically imperiled NatureServe conservation statuses) and therefore among the most imperiled terrestrial vertebrates on the continent.”
Wind farms and wind turbines. The Bat Conservation Trust.
Determining the Potential Ecological Impact of Wind Turbines on Bat Populations in Britain (University of Bristol and Bat Conservation Trust, 2009)
Bats and Single Large Wind Turbines: Joint Agencies Interim Guidance (Natural England, 2009)
Bats and Onshore Wind Turbines: Interim Guidance (Natural England 2012)
Eurobats Resolutions, Reports and Publications (including guidance)
- ABCbirds Wind Energy And Birds FAQ
- Adverse environmental effects from industrial wind turbines.
- If Renewables Are So Great for the Environment, Why Do They Keep Destroying It?
- RES’s “local” jobs already going to out-of-state workers. Cass County IN
- Six New Papers Reveal A Hushed-Up ‘Green’ Reality: Wind Turbines Destroy Habitats
- Turbines, Pesticides, Threaten Useful, Cute, Hoary Bat.
- Wind Turbines On The Great Lakes Threaten Migratory Birds