December 2017, Best Practices for Wind Farm Icing and Cold Climate Health and Safety. Wind Energy Operations and Maintenance . Canadian Wind Energy Association
This best practice guide outlines practices and procedures to assist with the safe operation and maintenance of wind power generation facilities in cold climates.
3 November 2010, Cold comfort for wind power developers. Diane Bailey, windpowermonthly.com
An icy climate can have a major impact on the performance and economics of a wind power project, even in areas with favourable wind conditions. Diane Bailey reports on how Canadian researchers are working to enable the industry to overcome the problem.
February 15, 2017, Icethrow from wind turbines Assessment and risk management IEA Wind Task 19, Winterwind 2017, Rolv Erlend Bredesen, Kjeller Vindteknikk AS
IEA TASK 19 – INTERNATIONAL GUIDELINES FOR ICE RISK ASSESSMENTS
Johannes Klappacher, Energiewerkstatt, 30th of August 2016
DECEMBER 9, 2008,Ice-Tossing Turbines: Myth or Hazard? KATE GALBRAITH. blogs.nytimes.com
25 Dec 2017. Evaluating risk caused by ice throw from wind turbines. Lloyd’s Register
Review of the Phenomenon of Ice Shedding from Wind Turbine Blades,
H. Xue*, H. Khawaja, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, UiT The Arctic
University of Norway, Norway, Int. Jnl. of Multiphysics Volume 10 · Number 3.
February 8, 2012. Ice throw studies. René Cattin. Gütsch and St. Brais
Understanding and acknowledging the ice throw hazard – consequences for regulatory frameworks, risk perception and risk communication
R. E. Bredesen et al 2017 J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 926 012001
September 2009. Four years of monitoring a wind turbine under icing conditions. Cattin René, Russi Markus, Russi Gabriela. Bern, Switzerland
John Harrison, Research Director, Association to Protect Amherst Island.
This report models ice throw from turbine blades with specific application to the
Siemens 2.3-113 turbine proposed for Amherst Island. This has a hub height of 99.5 m
and a blade length of 56.5 m. The blade rotation frequency is 13 rpm.
- A Wind Turbine Flings 400 lb Chunk of Ice 1,000 Feet.
- Ice buildup detection prevents the turbine from operating until the ice sheds.
- Bitter cold shows reliable energy sources are critical.
- Can Offshore Wind Turbines Succeed in the Great Lakes?
- Chicago Loses Wind Power During a Polar Vortex.
- Ice-Tossing Turbines: Myth or Hazard?
- MN wind turbines shut down after semi-truck hit by ice.
- Oklahoma: Warning large chunks of ice being launched great distance.
- Researchers warn of ice-throw danger from wind turbines at Balsams
- Wind Energy in Cold Climates